BICYCLE & PEDESTRIAN TRAIL
The ICC included the construction of approximately 11.4 miles of new bicycle/pedestrian trails and another 3.0 miles of reconstructed bicycle and pedestrian trails across the project area. These new and reconstructed ICC trails link to other trails, shared use roadways, and bike lanes that already existed, as well as future planned trails. Upon completion of the other future bikeways, the ICC bicycle/pedestrian trails will assist a cyclist’s travel from the Shady Grove Metrorail station to the Muirkirk Commuter Rail Station, the entire breadth of the project area. Montgomery and Prince George's counties are still developing some segments of the bicycle/pedestrian plan.
Below is a map of the bicycle and pedestrian trails constructed by the ICC Project. These segments are open for use. Currently, the paths can be accessed at Needwood Road, Muncaster Mill Road, Emory Lane, Georgia Avenue, Norbeck Road, Wintergate Drive (runs adjacent), Longmead Crossing, Park Vista Drive (runs adjacent), Layhill Road, Notley Road, New Hampshire Avenue, Fairland Road (east of US 29), Briggs Chaney Road, and at Old Gunpowder Road.
Parking is available at the following locations:
- Shady Grove Metro Station *The fees for this lot can be found at, http://www.wmata.com/rail/parking/parking_detail.cfm?station=18
- Park-and-Ride Lots
- Georgia Avenue (MD 97) and Norbeck Road
- Georgia Avenue (MD 97) and the ICC
- New Hampshire Avenue (MD 650) and just north of Randolph Road
- US 29 and Briggs Chaney Road.
- Muirkirk Rail Station (MARC station) Located at Muirkirk Road and US 1
To view the other trails in Montgomery County please visit, http://gis3.montgomerycountymd.gov/bikewaymap/. To view the other trails in Prince George’s County please visit, http://www.mncppc.org/page33873.aspx.