What and Why
The Intercounty Connector (ICC) will link existing and proposed development areas between the I-270/I-370 and I-95/US 1 corridors within central and eastern Montgomery County and northwestern Prince George's County with a state-of-the-art, multi-modal east-west highway that limits access and accommodates the movement of passengers and goods.
This ICC is intended to:
- Increase community mobility and safety
- Facilitate the movement of goods and people to and from economic centers
- Provide cost-effective transportation infrastructure to serve existing and future development patterns reflecting local land use planning objectives
- Help restore the natural, human and cultural environments from past development impacts in the project area
- Advance homeland security by providing additional mobility
Purpose and Need
The philosophy of any federally funded transportation project lies within the Purpose and Need Statement. As part of the project process, the SHA/MdTA and FHWA developed the “Purpose and Need Statement” for the ICC project. This brief document is one of the most important parts of the Environmental Impact Statement. The Purpose and Need Statement established why the agencies proposed to study the project. It was the foundation for determining whether alternatives met the needs in the area.
The Purpose and Need Statement was developed to address needs and deficiencies in the transportation infrastructure of the project area. It provided the basis for alternative development and analysis and established the basis for moving forward with an action.
Click here to view the Purpose and Need Statement for the ICC.